Saturday 25 March 2017

Breakfast in bed and other fantasies

In what can only be a ridiculous trick of fate it's mothering sunday tomorrow and also the day that the clocks go forward for daylight saving. So I get to enjoy an hour less sleep before 'my day.' Of course it's not strictly mine. I'm not greedy and I do realise that I share it with other mothers, grandmothers, carers and special people. Last weekend we took mother in law out for lunch to celebrate with her and tomorrow Hubbie is taking the bears to visit my mum so she can spend it with her grandchildren. We like to spoil the mums and seeing the boys makes them happy so that's two for one right there. 

Movie night with my boy 

On Friday evening me and Brown Bear held our inaugural movie night with popcorn, marshmallows, big drinks and the Empire Strikes Back. I wanted to do something with just him and me and I hope to make it a regular thing. It's little things like this that I love to do and it doesn't have to be on a special day. The other weekend we made indian food together and he tried a few dishes he's never eaten before. You see this is what I like to do with my kids and I'd rather do that on any day than make a fuss on one day of the year. I don't need the album full of terrible ballads that's released for mothering sunday, or a bouquet at an inflated cost and with a high quotient of pink and purple flowers in it. 


For the last week or so the boys have been making gifts at school and nursery and Brown Bear has already given me two cards in advance. He's terrible at keeping secrets and can't stop himself giving things away which is so sweet. Blue Bear is pretty oblivious to it really, but he's going to do whatever his brother does so I expect a hilarious double act to ensue. 


So what am I doing tomorrow ? I'd like to wake up in newly changed sheets, but that means I have to do them tonight. I'd like breakfast in bed, so I've bought everything I like so that it's already in the house and all they have to do is assemble it. Then I'm spending the day at a yoga workshop with fellow graduates of the school where I trained to teach. I will spend the morning with my boys - of course - but for 'my day' I want to do something just for me. This way I don't have to be on my best behaviour for my boys, I can relax and be a grown up with other grown ups and they can brighten someone else's day instead. I'm doing this my way. I'm mum every day so I think I can have one day when I'm off the clock. Also, considering that I'll be getting one hour fewer I don't want to squander it telling them not to argue or asking them to put socks on. 

I will also be thinking of those who will not be celebrating tomorrow and for whom mothering sunday may be a sad or difficult day. 

Right, I've got to get an early night !!


No comments:

Post a Comment