Monday 16 January 2017

Happiness is making time for some hygge

One of my Christmas presents from Hubbie was a book about Hygge - you know the nordic concept of cosiness and relaxation that involves candles and is credited with the reported high levels of happiness in the danish populationf. Well I liked the sound of it and in conjunction with my KonMari tidying project I've been thinking about how make 'cosy time'.


So the other evening I lit some candles and put them either side of a lovely plant. We don't have a fireplace so I wanted to create a soothing atmosphere with what we do have. When Brown Bear saw the candles he asked if we could we sit together in candlelight while Blue Bear was being put to bed. I was a bit surprised, but he really enjoyed the closeness and we have made it a regular thing. It's our bit of special time before he goes to bed and it helps calm him down after a tiring school day.

I'm no expert, but I'm finding ways to bring Hygge into our lives. I thought I'd share some of the ways we experience hygge in our home.

Hygge with candles. We have so many candles and tealights it's lovely to get to use them. They don't have to be scented - in fact the danes prefer unscented candles.


My hygge buddies, Brown Bear and Neo. They love to sit together in contemplation and stillness (well the cat does). It's their own form of hygge. 


My personal hygge with Neo and a brew to keep me and my fluffy dressing gown company. This doesn't happen often, but when it does it's just wonderful.


The best hygge we've had recently - looking outside at the snow falling while being all cosy inside. The boys were just delighted and watched for ages.


I'm really enjoying this special time we make for each other - it's nice and comforting and stops me from sitting looking at my phone all evening. I'm not saying we can practise Hygge every day, but I hope we can make time for each other and be close. I've already noticed Brown Bear is calmer and happier. I'm working on Hubbie too - he's not really a candles and fireplace sort of bloke, but you never know he might succumb to the cuddles.

Give it a go - you never know you might find it fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment