The book is the result of a competition that invited Mumsnet and Gransnet members to submit bedtime stories to be chosen for this compilation. I did consider sending in a story, but it's devilish difficult to actually write a story for kids ! Michael Rosen whittled down the twenty shortlisted stories to the ten that appear in the book and it must have been very hard to choose. I don't envy him the decision, but what a fun job to do.
The authors were all at the launch and I got most (if not all) of them to sign a book for my boy. I also chatted to some of the illustrators about the fact that the stories look absolutely beautiful and they are all so different. There is a nice range of styles and age ranges in this book so it will last for a while and would make a wonderful gift to give a child, a parent or grandparent or anyone who loves picture books.
I'm going to give a copy to Mother-in-law so that my boy has one for when he stays with her. It's like having ten picture books in one - a space saver too !! I'd suggest it would also work to take on holiday so you don't have to carry lots of books to keep your little ones entertained. I can see this book becoming a firm favourite in our house and I'm delighted I got to talk to some of the people who created it. It's inspired me to give writing a children's story a go, but I've got a long way to go before I'm as good as these guys !
Thank you to Hannah from Mumsnet for inviting me to the book launch :o)
The 10 winning stories (in author alphabetical order) are:
- Polly the Jumping Cow by Jools Abrams-Humphries
- Bedtime at the Lighthouse by Philip Bell
- Time for Bed by Michelle Eckhaus
- The Night Thief and the Moon by Katherine Latham
- A Parcel for Theo by Claire McCauley
- Princess Imogen's Independent Day by Christine O'Neill
- The Dancing Bear by Suzy Robinson
- The Sheriff of Rusty Nail by Sophie Wills
- Celeste Who Sang to the Stars by Kate Wilson
- Allie to the Rescue by Helen Yendall
If you are looking for a special and beautiful present for a child (or a grandparent) Click here to buy the book from Amazon