Wednesday 27 November 2013

Do something amazing and save a life

Blood transfusion service lorry
I'm always banging on about blood donation and how important it is, but to show you how easy and non-scary it is I thought I'd take some pics while I was giving blood this evening. Honestly it's really simple to book, you can do it online and there are sessions all over including in local church halls and some workplaces too. I went to a local church where they have a regular session every few months.

The reception area for donating blood
When you arrive you will be greeted and asked to read a booklet explaining what happens and what the restrictions are on giving blood - this can also be checked online to save a wasted journey. If you are at all nervous or if it's your first donation this is the time to say so as they will make sure you are taken care of and that you're not put off. I am not a fan of needles, but they are very professional staff who make it as painless and simple as possible.  Once you're booked in you will be asked to wait so bring a book in case it's busy.


The pinprick test to give blood



You will be called up to have a pinprick test which will determine if you are able to donate blood during your visit. If not they will explain why and you may be referred to your GP for further tests to ensure you are well. Otherwise you will be directed to wait until called up.

Water urn and plastic cups for donors




While waiting you should drink plenty of water to help the blood flow - it is a good idea to stay well hydrated during the day before you attend a session too.





Tilting chair for donating blood


When there is a free chair the donor carer will call you over and prepare your arm and make sure you are comfortable. The chair lies back flat and you can pretty much relax while it all goes on - this evening my donation took under 5 minutes so it's not a long process at all. They will ask you to sit and rest before you go so that there is no risk of you fainting and if they are in any way concerned about you they will make you wait until you are fully well before leaving.

Tea, biscuits and crisps


Now the best bit of donating - the tea and biscuits !! The only time I eat full fat crisps is after I give blood and it's kind of medicinal so I don't feel bad about it at all. You can also book your next appointment while you are having a drink and snack so that you don't have to think about it. They will send you a letter of confirmation by post so it couldn't be simpler.


I go on about giving blood because so many people who could donate don't. Blood stocks run low at this time of year, but the need does not so the blood transfusion service really do appreciate every donation. It took under an hour for me to donate this evening so time is no excuse.

My boy got this lovely sticker. I want him to grow up knowing how important it is to do something that could save a life.

A sticker for my boy


If you would like to find out more or to find a local donor session please go to www.blood.co.uk

Thank you :o) 

6 comments:

  1. Such an important thing for people to do, I'm not sure if I can do this as I'm anemic but will look into it as it's not something I've ever done before - and as you say an important message to pass on to our children x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of women who are worried about donating after having babies or due to health considerations. You can always find out. Otherwise you can always get Pappasaurus to go :o)

      Delete
  2. what a great post, a blood transfusion saved my life when I had meningitis, I'm not able to give blood now for that reason but encourage others to! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing.
      Wow, so you know first hand how important it is.
      My Mum had a blood transfusion after my sister was delivered so I feel I am doing something to say thank you for her.

      Delete
  3. Such a very important thing to do and my brother subsequently died at aged 6 mainly due to not getting the right blood to him (AB-).
    I however, have a HUGE needle phobia and trouble giving blood when I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an important lesson for us to teach our children. I used to give blood regularly, but after living in the Middle East for 4+ years, I haven't been able to since moving back to the UK. Once my "quarantine" period is over, I will be down there like a shot :)

    ReplyDelete