Since Baby Boy came to live with us we've been talking to him constantly to encourage him to speak. It's a tactic I used with Big Boy - I used to copy all the sounds he made until he did the same to me and started using actual words. Of course now he is articulate enough to use sarcasm and I wish I'd been a little more circumspect in my approach.
Baby Boy finds it so funny when I do this and he tries to catch me out with more and more sounds then an elaborate pattern of speech that eventually beats me. It is hilarious fun and I don't even notice I'm doing it any more. We were staying with the in-laws when I heard Baby Boy chuntering away upstairs and without thinking I repeated the gabble not realising that Father-in-law was standing behind me in the kitchen giving me a very odd look.
|An unlikely partnership|
Well, however strange it may seem there is method to my madness and it appears to be working. Baby Boy has gone from grunting, shouting, pointing at things (and a combination of all three) to making recognisable sounds. Some of them are pretty distinct like:
- Standing at the top of the stairs waving at Hubbie as he leaves for work and saying "Bye bye Daddy."
- Whenever Big Boy annoys / pushes / hits him he shouts, "Mummy !!"
- He is known in Waitrose now for waving and saying, "Baa Baa" to everyone - that is bye bye to anyone else.
- When we go to our favourite park he calls out "Wack wack" at the ducks, geese and pigeons and his current favourite book is the Ladybird book of Ducks and Swans.
|Talkng to the 'wack wacks'|
- Our holiday at Coombe Mill Family Farm gave him a whole new range of animal noises to practise including "Baaaaa" and "Oof Oof" which is now what we call sheep and dogs.
- The best is that he's gone from chasing the cat screaming at high pitch to actually calling him by name. Ok it's almost his name, he calls out "Neeya" which is pretty close.
What we noticed while staying with Granny and Grandpa was that Baby Boy was calling out "Neeya" to their current feline resident Missy. So it's pretty clear that rather than realising that Neo is his name he thinks that's what he is.
So, he has Big Boy giving him biscuits on demand and Baby Boy renaming all cats after him.
Neo's plan for world domination is taking shape.
|He looks like butter wouldn't melt doesn't he ?|