Monday 6 January 2014

Blue Monday - yet another remix

On Facebook today I saw someone refer to Blue Monday. It was the first day back at work for many and our boy was back at nursery, so it was business as usual for me too. I was keen to share (well plagiarise actually) a post I've previously written about the phenomenon of blue Monday as it winds me up so much. The actual 'blue Monday' is known as the most depressing day of the year, you know the one:
  • the day people give up their New Year's resolutions - especially the not drinking one ! 
  • the day gyms see a drop off in new members who've paid up front for the year 
  • the day we give up the diet as it's just too difficult and we want to curl up with a cuppa and some biscuits to keep warm
  • the day we realise that being paid early for Christmas wasn't so great now we still have ages before the next payday
new year's resolution stress

It's the day that we supposedly feel that sinking post Christmas dread and fall off the wagon of resolutions rashly made in December. So if you feel a bit crappy or were unexpectedly down in the mouth on Monday that's probably why.

Only it's not really. Blue Monday was a PR creation years ago to sell holidays to people in their January gloom. You know how Christmas adverts start in November and then the commercials to entice you to the sales are on just before Christmas then traditionally on Boxing Day we see beautiful beaches, elegant cruises and glamorous aircrews ? Well this whole 'Blue Monday' myth (complete with the 'scientific study' claim that has no basis in reality) is a deliberate effort to get you to book your holidays.

It isn't real people so don't buy into it.

Nakd wholefood bars My Monday was pretty good actually - maybe because I wasn't going back to work. Ok, there's no maybe about it, that definitely makes a difference. It was also our boy's first day back at nursery. He's been going stir crazy at home and asking every day if he is going to nursery. When he asked this morning and I replied, "yes sweetie you are," he actually cheered. This on the back of only a few hours sleep between us as he had a horrific nose bleed last night. I went for a relaxing swim at lunchtime and then when I went to Waitrose they had an offer on the wholefood bars I love so much. All in all not too shoddy for me actually - sorry to disappoint.

So, I say let's reclaim the day. Let's make it about something else. So if you've been feeling a bit down about going back to post-Christmas normality this week here are some suggestions of things to shake off the blues:
  • change your resolutions to doable ones - instead of I'll lose all the weight and get into a size ten, how about I'll wear clothes that make me look and feel great anyway
  • take up something new - not a life changing thing necessarily, maybe start small eg. go for a walk somewhere new or try a different thing for lunch 
  • let go of our wishing away last year and embrace this one instead - it's only January, don't be so hard on yourself 
  • put all the festive paraphernalia away - accept that all the leftover Christmas food has to go, yes even the peanuts, pretzels, etc.
  • make some fun plans for things you can look forward to doing - next week, next month and later in the year. 
Oh and pop on New Order's Blue Monday (the 12") just to remind yourself that it's a song and not a marketing agency's ploy to part you from your holiday fund.

Here's to a Happy Monday (maracas optional)
New Order - Blue Monday

22 comments:

  1. I agree with you here, whoever decided to name it 'blue monday' obviously decided to throw their 'blues' on to everyone else! January is a long and traditionally rather 'blue' month but as you say - make your resolutions realistic ones and go about it with a different mindset. Happy January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it just annoys me that we're told how to feel and what to do to make it better.
      Happy January to you too :)

      Delete
  2. I know it's pathetic isn't it ?
    Aw bless you and thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just media hype, the press love telling us, that we're depressed, well we're not!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it makes a good story for lazy editors though :)

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of blue Monday but my Monday was quite nice. I can see why people get down after Christmas though - a massive build up and then back to normal so quickly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true - I think it's just the cynicism of trading in on it that gets to me.

      Delete
  5. Interesting post. I rather like the start of school and work again. I'm always itching to get back into my work routine and projects after Christmas, and think up non-festive things for us to do as a family. Also I think it's much more depressing later in January, when you're still a week or so away from pay day and a long way from spring. Definitely a PR-made day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually later in the month, but a few people have started referring to Blue Monday already - it is too early really.
      I like routine so the break sort of unsettles me a bit.

      Delete
  6. it's all in the mindset isn't it, I didn't even know it was blue monday until the evening and I had had a pretty good day :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't know about it you have no reason to be blue I guess ? :) x

      Delete
  7. Sorry if duplicate comment, my Blogger acts up. I'm glad yoru Blue Monday was good. So was mine. Also love your round-up of ideas on the meaning of Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I think it's important to not give in to the misery that we're supposed to feel at this time of year.

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of Blue Monday but I admit to booking our summer holiday yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but was it because you were encouraged to by TV ads or were you going to do it anyway ?
      Only messing - I'm v jealous really !!

      Delete
  9. I hadn't heard of Blue Monday before and my Monday was pretty good too so humbug to Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - it's actually later this month, but I thought I'd get in early this year and post about it.
      I was glad that we all got back to normal actually.

      Delete
  10. Isn't Blue Monday later this month? It certainly is real the shoot the holiday prices up something chronic. Which is a good reminder that I MUST sort out our ferry.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is later this month Joy - I was getting in early as someone else mentioned it so I thought why not.
      Yes the holiday thing is so cynical it annoys me, but I can see why they cash in on post Christmas blues.

      Delete
  11. TOTALLY agree about doable resolutions - I felt quite good on Monday thanks to my very simple resolutions :-) great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got started on mine early so that I wouldn't get a shock on the 1st of January - it seems to have worked so far, but then it's early days still.
    Thank you so much :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Monday involved going back to work too!

    ReplyDelete